Cakes, in one form or another, have been around for thousands of years. And in that time, they’ve developed quite a backlog of trivia.
Here are 10 crazy facts about cakes for your next trivia night:
- Although the exact origin of cake is tough to pinpoint, ancient Egyptians are thought to have been the first to add honey to bread to make it sweet.
- Despite its striking color, red velvet cake is most often chocolate in flavor. These days, the bright red color comes from food coloring, but in the past, beets were sometimes used.
- In ancient Greece, people brought cakes adorned with lit candles to the temple of Artemis, goddess of the hunt. The lit candles were intended to make the cake glow like the moon, a symbol associated with Artemis. Some food historians believe this is the origin of birthday candles.
- The word “cake” is probably a borrowing from the Old Norse word “kaka.” We’re glad it’s not still called that. “Triple Chocolate Enrobed Kaka” is a tough sell.
- “Cakewalks” originated in African American communities in the Southern United States. They were originally a competition for graceful walking with cake awarded as a prize.
- The word “cupcake” was originally used in the late 19th century to refer to a cake made from ingredients measured by the cupful. It had nothing to do with the shape of the cake.
- According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the tallest cake measured 108.27 feet high and was made by Hakasima-Nilasari Culinary School for the event Amazing Christmas.
- Cake, a bakery in Chester, England, made the world’s most expensive wedding cake, valued at $52.7 million. The cake had eight-tiers and was decorated with more than 4,000 diamonds. It was on display at the National Gay Wedding Show in Liverpool on March 3, 2013.
- Many food historians believe cheesecake originated in ancient Greece and was served to the athletes during the first Olympic Games held in 776 B.C.
- Cream filled whoopie pies got their names when Amish women made the cakes and put them in their husbands’ lunches. When the husband opened his lunch and saw the surprise, he yelled “Whoopie!”
Cakes are almost as interesting as they are delicious. Almost
Photo Credit: CC Image Courtesy of F_A