6 Ways to Simplify Your Thanksgiving Feast
Chances are, if you’re looking for ways to simplify a Thanksgiving meal by now, you’re a little behind on preparation.
No worries! Thanksgiving is supposed to be fun, right? We’ve got a few ideas for making the big feast a bit more manageable this year:
- Make a menu and check your list twice! One of the biggest time sucks of preparing a Thanksgiving meal is making multiple trips to the grocery store. Take a little extra time to put a menu together and a grocery list that has everything you need on it. If you have time, give yourself a couple days to make the list. You’ll probably think of more to add.
- Prepare side dishes the night before. If there’s anything you can make or assemble for the oven ahead of time, do it. You’ll have plenty to keep you busy on Thanksgiving Day. Do a search for “make ahead Thanksgiving recipes.” You’ll find a lot of great ideas.
- Skip the dessert (preparation). We’re not suggesting you skip the sweets all together, just the making-it part. You can get a gourmet cake delivered right to your doorstep with a few clicks of your mouse. Check out these Thanksgiving favorites for ideas.
- Cut your dirty dishes in half. Not literally! For a big meal like Thanksgiving, using disposal cooking pans, plates, cups, and silverware can save you a ton of time. If you’re worried about being wasteful, just buy aluminum cooking pans. The rest can usually be stuffed into the dishwasher.
- Bigger is not always better. A huge turkey takes a long time to cook. If you’re entertaining a small group, look for a smaller turkey or even a turkey breast. The butcher at the grocery store should be able to recommend the right-sized turkey for your gathering.
- Buy an oven ready turkey. All you have to do is remove the frozen turkey from the freezer and pop it in the oven. No defrosting or prep required. These can be a lifesaver if you’re terrified of cooking a turkey “from scratch.” Bonus!!! Many oven ready turkeys come with pre-made gravy.
Take a breath — you’ve got this. Preparing a Thanksgiving meal is only as hard as you want it to be. A simple meal can be just as scrumptious as an elaborate one.
Good luck with your kitchen adventures and have a Happy Thanksgiving from Bake Me a Wish!